Archive Assistant: Photograph Transcription (Swindon Office)
The Historic England Archive has over 12 million items including photographs, plans and reports covering the archaeology and architecture of England. This includes the Corpus Vitrearum Medii Aevi (CVMA) collection of photographs of medieval stained glass from churches across England.
We are looking for someone to help us create a list of the CVMA images which will help us manage and use the collection in the future.
- Create an Excel list of all the images and relevant information held in the CVMA collection
- Flag any items in need of conservation work and ensure that material is safely stored. This may involve re-attaching images to their cards
- Identify any items that could be used for illustrative purposes in the future
- Type up the card index of subjects, events and people depicted in the glass windows
Hours and time frame
The project is estimated to take approximately 1- 2 months over a flexible time frame during summer/autumn 2017. It could be completed by one or shared between two volunteers. The Archive is open normal office hours Monday - Friday.
The placement is at our Swindon office at The Engine House, Fire Fly Avenue, Swindon, SN2 2EH.
Closing date for applications: Friday 18 August 2017
Skills and qualities
- Be methodical and thorough and enjoy attention to detail
- Have basic computer skills as the role will involve a considerable amount of data inputting on to an Excel spread sheet, although skill at Excel is not required
- Have an interest in church architecture or archive work although no prior knowledge is expected
Support and training
This role will help you to gain the following skills and experience:
- Training in the correct handling of archive material, specifically glass plate negatives
- The opportunity to develop skills and experience in archive work
- The opportunity to find out more about the work of the different teams within the archive
Please see our volunteer policy.
How to apply
Please download and complete our volunteer registration form below and email it to Fiona Matthews – fiona.matthews@HistoricEngland.org.uk