This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Reporting a Heritage Crime

By Phone

999 - Emergency Number

You should call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when:  

  • A crime is in progress
  • Someone suspected of a crime is nearby
  • There is danger to life or property or
  • Violence is being used or threatened.

101 - National non-emergency number

You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response.

For example, you should call 101 if:

  • Your property has been stolen or damaged and the suspect is no longer at the scene
  • You suspect unlawful metal detecting is happening in your neighbourhood
  • You need to give the police information about crime or anti-social behaviour in your area
  • You want to speak to the police about a general enquiry

101 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Crimestoppers logo

Crimestoppers - 0800 555 111

To remain anonymous, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers in order to pass on information about a crime or criminal activity.

You will never have to give a formal statement, talk to police or be a witness in court, and you could receive a reward of up to £1,000 if the information you provide leads to the arrest and charge of at least one person.

You can contact Crimestoppers 24/7 by calling 0800 555 111 or by visiting their online information giving page.

In Person

Contact the Police directly

If you have information about a crime and are happy to give the police your name and address you should contact the police directly either by phone (see above) or by attending the nearest police station.

You can find contact details for your local police force at:

You can also visit: Ask the Police to access an extensive bank of police-based frequently asked questions.

Subsequent action to consider

  • If you think the property is a designated heritage asset (e.g. a listed building or scheduled monument) contact your Local Authority Conservation department to ensure they are aware of any damage that has been caused to the asset. Historic England's local offices may also be able to assist particularly in the case of scheduled monuments.
  • Be prepared to provide a witness statement to the police as part of any formal police action as a result of the incident. 
  • If any formal action is taken you may also be asked to provide an impact statement by the police to ensure the full impact of the incident on the community and the heritage value is considered as part of the sentencing. 
  • Is there anything which could be done to make the asset secure from any further threats?

Was this page helpful?