This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HAWKSHEAD GRAMMAR SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAWKSHEAD GRAMMAR SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1087232

Location

HAWKSHEAD GRAMMAR SCHOOL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hawkshead

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 76852

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAWKSHEAD MAIN STREET SD 3598 SW (West side) 12/146 Hawkshead Grammar 18.5.53 School

GV II*

School, now museum. 1675, entrance rebuilt 1888, windows 1891. Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. 3:2:2-light ovolo-mullioned windows, those to ground floor with 3-centred heads to lights, and label moulds to 1st floor windows; leaded glazing. Entrance between 1st and 2nd bays has architrave, pulvinated frieze with panel dated 1585; above, a plaque with armorial bearing and memorial inscription to the founder, and date 1675 (placed there by the builder) under consoled cornice, the brackets with incised decoration, with scrolly pediment and crest; above, an obliquely set sundial in eared and shouldered architrave. Rainwater head dated 1891. Left return has projecting gable-end stack with round shaft on square base. Right return has 4-light windows, with 3-light window to rear wing, which has gable-end and cross-axial stacks with round shafts. Interior has chamfered beams; elliptical-headed fireplace. Fixed benches and desks covered with the carved names of pupils. Panelled door with strap hinges leads to stone dog-leg stair. The school was founded by Edwin Sandys, Archbishop of York, in 1585, and built by Daniel Rawlinson. in 1675. Its most famous pupil was William Wordsworth, who attended 1778-1787, and whose name is carved on a desk.

Listing NGR: SD3523998044

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 35236 98038

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2017 at 10:32:43.

End of official listing