This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ENTRANCE GATEWAY TO GREEN LANE WORKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ENTRANCE GATEWAY TO GREEN LANE WORKS

List entry Number: 1255044

Location

ENTRANCE GATEWAY TO GREEN LANE WORKS, GREEN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sheffield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458629

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK3588SW GREEN LANE 784-1/15/393 (North side) 01/05/52 Entrance gateway to Green Lane Works

II*

Works entrance. Dated 1860. Built for Henry Hoole. Restored and refronted 1985. Ashlar, stucco and brick, with gabled and hipped slate roof with single gable stack. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 8 bays. Entrance, in the form of a tripartite triumphal arch, has quoins, impost band and dentilled cornice. Projecting centre has dentilled pediment and frieze inscribed "Green Lane Works". Round-arched entrance with rusticated base and voussoirs and mask keystone. Narrow wings have framed bronze relief panels of Industry and Art, possibly by Alfred Stevens, who was employed by the firm in 1850-52. Below, single round-headed doorways. On either side, a blank stucco bay and beyond, blank brick bays, 1985. Under the archway, a pair of tall board doors. Above, a square cupola with diagonal buttresses, and console brackets to the corniced clock stage, topped with a round-arched square lantern with square dome and weather vane. Plainer rear elevation has pediment with bust in roundel and the inscription "Established AD 1795. Rebuilt by Henry E Hoole 1860". Rusticated gateway. To left, a stucco wing with first floor sillband. Five 12 pane sashes and a tripartite sash. Above, 8 late C20 windows. INTERIOR not inspected. From c1851-1930, this works was used for making cast-iron fireplaces, and from 1940-48 for making razor blades. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 470; Information board in company office).

Listing NGR: SK3502588192

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 470

National Grid Reference: SK 35025 88192

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255044 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 03:39:19.

End of official listing