This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LAMP STANDARD ON TRAFFIC ISLAND AT JUNCTION WITH ST PETER STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LAMP STANDARD ON TRAFFIC ISLAND AT JUNCTION WITH ST PETER STREET

List entry Number: 1384733

Location

LAMP STANDARD ON TRAFFIC ISLAND AT JUNCTION WITH ST PETER STREET, ANGEL HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tiverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Apr-2000

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 485191

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 ANGEL HILL, Tiverton 848-1/6/107 Lamp standard on traffic island at junction with St Peter Street (Formerly Listed as: ST PETER STREET, Tiverton Lamp stand on traffic island at junction with Angel Hill)

GV II

Includes: Lamp standard on traffic island at junction with St Peter Street ANGEL HILL. Lamp standard. Dated 1878; by GS Bridgman. Cast-iron, standing on a 4-tiered, chamfered stone plinth. The shaft is in Gothic style, consisting of 2 super-imposed sets of clustered columns with enriched capitals. From the upper of these spring 2 large foliated scrolls carrying 3 lamps; the latter have been renewed in late C20. The base, which is held together by an iron strap, is carved with the inscription: ERECTED BY J LANE ESQRE JP AD 1878. Below this in smaller letters is GS BRIDGMAN ARCH. Mr John Lane, a Tiverton draper, had been mayor in 1869. In that year he had paid for the new town hall clock, and in 1877 subscribed ยป1,000 towards the cost of the new Baptist chapel in Newport Street (qv). The architect for the latter was GS Bridgman of Torquay. A good example of its type, prominently situated in the historic town centre.





Listing NGR: SS9537812531

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 95378 12531

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 11:32:57.

End of official listing