This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL AT WELLINGTON COLLEGE WITH PORCH COLONNADE AND GATEWAY ADJOINING WEST END

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL AT WELLINGTON COLLEGE WITH PORCH COLONNADE AND GATEWAY ADJOINING WEST END

List entry Number: 1390357

Location

CHAPEL AT WELLINGTON COLLEGE WITH PORCH COLONNADE AND GATEWAY ADJOINING WEST END, DUKES RIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bracknell Forest

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Crowthorne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Feb-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489340

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROWTHORNE

SU86SW DUKES RIDE 674-1/17/151 (South side) Chapel at Wellington College with porch colonnade and gateway adj. west end

GV II

Chapel. 1861-3 by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Geometrical style. Extended in 1886 and 1899 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. MATERIALS: Red brick in English bond, stone dressings, slate coped gabled roof. PLAN: nave, main apse, north chapel apse, west porch and slender spire. EXTERIOR: high, moulded plinth of brick and stone, string course at sill and impost levels of windows, corbelled parapet and gable ends with moulded stone coping. 3 stage buttresses with pedimented tops surmounted with leaf finials. Blank arcading with pointed arched heads between plinth and lower string. Windows with geometric tracery. Nave north aisle has 4-bays, with angled buttresses at east end. South aisle similar. East end has large rose window with semi-circular hoodmould. Plank door with elliptical head, approached by 8 stone steps. West end has angled buttresses. large rose window with stone circular niches either side and at top, each with a group of sculptured, carved figures. Apse has 3 single light windows with pointed heads. Terracotta eaves cornice enriched with floral decoration. Porch, Colonnade and Gateway adjoining at west end. Porch slate, pitched roof with moulded eaves running through from lower string on chapel. 6 linked windows in south wall, with pointed heads, stained glass between slim colonnettes with foliage capitals. Large gateway adjoins porch of brick with stone dressings. Symmetrical with large central archway with pointed head, corbelled cornice and balustraded parapet. On south side colonnaded passage of 4-bays linked to gateway by brick wall, and adjoins main College building on west (qv). INTERIOR: chapel nave and aisles is red brick in English bond, panelled dado with battlemented top. Marble floor and rising amphitheatrical seating. 4-bay arcades and naturalistic foliage. 5-bay wagon roof to nave. Sanctuary painted ceiling with angles and musical instruments, blank arcade of 19-bays with pointed arches with heads of apostles in ceramics. Encaustic tile floor. Monuments: memorial to the dead of Great War by Lutyens in the north chapel apse of black and white marble with rectangular base, moulded plinth, column on pedestal with moulded cornice and laurel wreath, surmounted by a statuette of Wellington. Stained glass in the west window of the nave by Lusson. Chapel porch, colonnade and gateway form the south side of large court. The west side is enclosed by Wellington College Main Block (qv) and the north side by the Dining Hall and Common Rooms (qv) the east side is enclosed by the Dormitory Block (qv).



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 10 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/219560
War Memorials Register, accessed 10 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/18720

National Grid Reference: SU 83222 63389

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390357 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 09:47:08.

End of official listing