Eaton Hastings War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Eaton Hastings War Memorial
List entry Number: 1438259
War Memorial Green, Roadside Cottages, Lechlade Road, Eaton Hastings, Oxfordshire, SN7 8BN
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Vale of White Horse
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Eaton Hastings
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 27-Oct-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920.
Reasons for Designation
Eaton Hastings War Memorial, which stands at Roadside Cottages, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War; * Architectural interest: a simple yet poignant memorial obelisk in the Classical style; * Group value: with the Grade II-listed 6 and 7 Lechlade Road, 8-11 Lechlade Road, and 12-14 Lechlade Road, and also Bell House.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Eaton Hastings as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 24 October 1920 by Lord Faringdon. Built by Charles Denner, it commemorated not only the eight local servicemen who died in the First World War but also those who had served and returned. A metal plaque has since been fixed to the memorial, recording the names only of those who died, replacing the original inscription that had weathered.
The tall Portland stone memorial stands on War Memorial Green, a quadrangle formed by Roadside Cottages, a group of Grade II-listed buildings (6 and 7 Lechlade Road, 8-11 Lechlade Road, and 12-14 Lechlade Road) that are part of the Buscot and Coleshill Estates (National Trust). It takes the form of an obelisk, square on plan, standing on a square plinth and two-stepped base. The dedication and commemorated names were inscribed on the plinth. Now a metal plaque on the front face of the plinth records the principal dedicatory inscription, reading FOR GOD FOR RIGHT FOR LIBERTY/ IN MEMORY OF EATON HASTINGS MEN/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ ROLL OF HONOUR/ (8 NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
War Memorials Online, accessed 11 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/154348
War Memorials Register, accessed 04/01/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/31572
National Grid Reference: SU2536096960
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438259 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2018 at 08:10:45.
End of official listing