This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Ash-cum-Ridley War Memorial

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Ash-cum-Ridley War Memorial

List entry Number: 1439172


The Street, Ash-cum-Ridley, Kent, TN15 7HD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ash-cum-Ridley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-2016

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

First World War memorial with further names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Ash-cum-Ridley War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified granite obelisk memorial.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised at Ash-cum-Ridley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. It commemorates eight local servicemen who died during the First World War. The memorial was erected on land owned by Mrs Campbell, the owner of Ash Manor House and Ash Place Farm.

The memorial was originally erected in front of the village hall, but was moved to its present position in the 1930s for the widening of The Street.

Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the ten fallen of that conflict. 

The memorial was repaired and conserved in 1998 and 2006 with the help of grant aid from the War Memorials Trust.


MATERIALS: granite

DESCRIPTION: Ash-cum-Ridley memorial comprises an obelisk on a square plinth which is set upon a single-stepped base. The plinth is polished with inscribed faces. The First World War inscription faces the road and reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LASTING MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919/ (NAMES)/ TRUE LOVE BY LIFE,/ TRUE LOVE, BY DEATH, IS TRIED./ LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND/ WE FOR ENGLAND DIED.

The Second World War inscription was added to the eastern face: 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES).

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 November 2016.

Selected Sources

Kent Fallen, accessed 21 July 2016 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 July 2016 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 November 2016 from
War Memorials Trust, accessed 21 July 2016 from

National Grid Reference: TQ5996564413


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439172 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2018 at 06:17:39.

End of official listing