The Former Lying-In Hospital
This former maternity hospital was built on land given by the Corporation of Newcastle, and John Dobson, the city's leading architect, gave his services for free; other expenses were met by public subscription. The building is sandstone ashlar with a low-pitched dark slate roof. It has a Tudor-arched surround to the central door and a corbelled oriel above with Perpendicular tracery.
© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
1826 by John Dobson
Listed Grade II in 1971