Ames House, 44 Mortimer Street, Camden, Greater London
Ames House was the first major project of the Young Women's Christian Association. It provided housing for 97 single working women in cubicles and bedrooms. The eminent Edwardian architect Beresford Pite designed the striking corner building in 1904 in his individual Arts and Crafts manner with banded brickwork and a strong vertical emphasis. The hostel was modest but comfortable. A resident reported that 'every little cubicle and bedroom has its own window and electric light – there is a wash-room, and a work-room containing provision for heating irons for the use of the boarders; the drawing room is kept for reading and music.' The building also had a few separate shops and the Welbeck Restaurant. This was seperate from the residents' dining room and served working women who were not 'living in'. the building is now (2011) flats and shops.