Apsley House, 149 Piccadilly, Hyde Park Corner, Westminster, Greater London
The Waterloo Gallery, Apsley House. Apsley House was built by Robert Adam between 1771 and 1778 for Baron Apsley. The house passed to the Wellesley family in 1807 and was first owned by Richard and then his younger brother Arthur Wellesley - the Duke of Wellington. The house was remodelled and enlarged between 1928 and 1929. Many of the rooms were redesigned to reflect the rising status of the Duke. He had been made Prime Minister in 1828, following his great military success at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. Famous paintings from the Spanish Royal Collection, acquired by the Duke after the Battle of Vitoria in 1913, are displayed on the first floor. The Waterloo Gallery was built in a French roccoco style for the Duke's paintings. This property is now (2011) in the care of English Heritage. Find out more.