Audley End House, Saffron Walden, Essex
Interior view of the Kitchen within the Service Wing. The house was built in 1605-14 by Thomas Howard, the first Earl of Suffolk. It is on the site of a Benedictine monastery and is renowned as one of England's finest Jacobean houses. Before falling from favour, Howard hoped to entertain James 1 at Audley, the layout of which was designed to reflect the processional route of the King and Queen. Despite its illustrious beginnings and a period of ownership by Charles II, Audley fell into decline in the 18th century and is now only one third its original size. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).