Former Offices at Pilkington's Glass, St Helens, Merseyside
This former office block at Pilkington's Glass was built in 1937-41. It was designed by Herbert J. Rowse with Kenneth Cheeseman in a style influenced by Dutch Modernist architecture. When first built it was a striking landmark in the centre of St. Helens. The offices have been converted into flats known as Reflection Court and now stand isolated on the side of a modern link road. Pilkington Brothers were originally formed in 1826 as the St Helens Crown Glass company, one of many glassworks in the area. The company grew rapidly and was always at the forefront of technology. In 1959 they revolutionised glass production when they invented the float glass process. They have long been the most important employer in the area.