Chester Amphitheatre and Dee House
Excavations of the buried remains of the Roman Amphitheatre in Chester carried out between 2004 and 2006 showed that only fragments of the amphitheatre survive as most of the stonework had previously been removed for re-use elsewhere.
These excavations increased our understanding of the design and development of the amphitheatre and it is unlikely that further excavation will increase that understanding. It is also highly unlikely that further excavation will expose anything which can be displayed without a very high level of reconstruction. Most of the walls on display today are 20th century reconstructions of what was once there.
The demolition of Dee House, which stands on top of part of the Roman amphitheatre, would be contrary to Government policy and would not, in our opinion, be justified by the desire to uncover further remains of the amphitheatre.
We support Cheshire West and Chester Council’s efforts to find a viable use for Dee House. Built around 1730, and extended in the 1860s by the noted Liverpool architect Edmund Kirby, Dee House is rightly listed Grade II as a building of national importance and it is an integral part of Chester’s history.
Historic England does not own the excavated amphitheatre site. It is in the guardianship of English Heritage and is managed by Cheshire West and Chester Council.