Archive Team Conservation Placement (Swindon Office)
Specific tasks will be dependant on the work of the HE Archive Conservators at the time of the placement. However, it is likely that a placement will include the following:
- Opportunities to assist with the remedial conservation of HE Archive collections, which will include: core project working on glass plate negatives with the opportunity to work on a variety of photographic materials
- Opportunities to assist with the preventive conservation aspects of the archive e.g. environmental condition monitoring
Hours and time frame
This placement is available for a maximum of 6 weeks throughout November to December 2016.
Applicants should be available to work between the hours of 10am and 4pm for up to three days per week.
The placement is at our Swindon office at The Engine House, Fire Fly Avenue, Swindon, SN2 2EH.
Closing date for applications: 16 October 2016.
Interviews: week commencing 24 October 2016.
Skills and qualities
- Have completed or currently be studying on a recognised conservation course.
- Be able to work both independently and under supervision.
- Ideally already have some experience of working with photographic materials.
- Be comfortable handling archive material with the possibility of working in cold conditions at times.
Support and training
Training and support will be provided by Historic England and will include:
- Introduction to basic photographic conservation techniques
- Identification of different photographic materials
- Familiarisation with site and staff
- Explanation of role and the nature of the tasks
- Health & safety
Please see our volunteer policy.
Volunteers may be reimbursed for local travel costs between home and volunteering location or for local accommodation costs, within agreed limits. Travel costs for interview cannot be reimbursed.
A reference will be provided indicating the work carried out for Historic England.
How to apply
Please download and complete our volunteer registration form below and email it to Saya Miles at saya.miles@HistoricEngland.org.uk.