Archives Transcription and Research Assistant (Swindon Office)
This is a great opportunity for someone seeking experience in cataloguing archives, and will also offer the chance to gain knowledge in other areas of archive work.
- Transcribe information from handwritten registers into an Excel spreadsheet
- Match entries from the registers with glass plate negatives
- Identify images for digitisation according to set guidelines
- Carry out research into specified photographers in order to inform the future work of the Archive
Hours and time frame
Negotiable - the role is available throughout August 2017.
The placement is at our Swindon office at The Engine House, Fire Fly Avenue, Swindon, SN2 2EH.
Closing date for applications: 25 July 2017
Skills and qualities
This role would be most suited to someone educated or studying to degree level who is working towards or interested in a career in archives. You will have:
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Familiarity with the use of Excel
- Interest in English architecture and photography
- Ability to interpret early 20th century handwriting
Support and training
This role will help you to gain the following skills and experience:
- Training in the correct handling of archive material, specifically glass plate negatives
- The opportunity to develop skills and experience in archive work
- The opportunity to find out more about the work of the different teams within the archive
Please see our volunteer policy.
How to apply
Please download and complete our volunteer registration form below and email it to Kate Bevan – kate.bevan@HistoricEngland.org.uk