Cataloguing Team Volunteer Placement (Swindon Office)
This is a great opportunity for someone seeking experience in cataloguing archives, and will also offer the chance to gain knowledge in other areas of archive work.
- Matching negatives with prints
- Researching buildings and sites in historic photographs
- Using a GIS mapping system to identify locations of buildings
- Writing captions for photographs, and adding these to a database
Hours and time frame
This placement is for 4 - 5 weeks. Ideally the applicant should be available between the hours of 10am and 4pm for between 3 and 5 days per week. The placement will commence from the week beginning 24 July 2017. Days and times can be flexible.
The placement is at our Swindon office at The Engine House, Fire Fly Avenue, Swindon, SN2 2EH.
Closing date for applications: 28 June 2017
Interviews: week commencing: 3 July 2017
Skills and qualities
This role would be most suited to someone educated or studying to degree level who is working towards or interested in a career in archives. You will have:
- Enthusiasm and flexibility
- Ability to work in a team
- A good range of IT skills
- Interest in history, geography and architecture
- Some knowledge of architectural styles and forms
Support and training
This role will help you to gain the following skills and experience:
- The opportunity to develop experience in and understanding of archive work
- Experience of creating catalogue entries for historic photographs
- Experience of using mapping systems and archive databases
- Experience of working with archive materials
- The opportunity to see how other teams within the archive work
Please see our volunteer policy.
How to apply
Please download and complete our volunteer registration form below and email it to Kate Bevan – kate.bevan@HistoricEngland.org.uk