Greater London Historic Environment Record Placement, London Office
Alongside helping us to improve the information on the Greater London Historic Environment Record (GLHER), this is also an opportunity to shadow the work of our Historic Environment Record (HER) Officer. On this placement you'll develop an understanding of the role of HERs and of Historic England's work.
- Themed projects - enhancing our records for particular types of monuments, or related to the historic environment of particular areas of London. Examples include looking at First World War heritage, or recording workhouses
- Additional research - we always need help with research to improve our records
- Checking and validating records - a keen eye for detail is essential
- With supervision, undertake HER search enquires for GLHER customers
- Help the GLHER team to add planning development reports to the GLHER database
Hours and time frame
This is a three-month placement, starting in January, requiring a minimum commitment of three hours a day. Applicants can work flexible hours between 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday.
The placement is at our London office: Waterhouse Square, Holborn, London.
Support and training
- We'll train you to use the GLHER database and its associated digital mapping system ArcGIS
- Support from the GLHER team and Historic England colleagues will be available at all times
- You'll have opportunities to attend HER related meetings and accompany Greater London Archaeological Advisory Service (GLAAS) archaeological advisers on site visits
You may be reimbursed for local travel costs between home and volunteering locations.
We'll provide a reference for your personal profile to demonstrate work carried out for Historic England to show future employers or further education.
How to apply
Please download and complete our volunteer registration form below and email it to Melanie Millward at melanie.millward@HistoricEngland.org.uk.