This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Owners Concerned about Heritage Crime

Concerned about the threat of crime?

If you are the owner of a historic building or some other heritage asset, whether of national or local importance, then you can use the Preventative Measures Guidance to consider whether there are any actions you could take to make the asset more secure.

Please be aware that some actions may require consent, so contact your Local Authority Conservation Department  for advice before doing any work which might affect your property.

Exterior of Sandhill Park before the fire
Exterior of Sandhill Park before the fire

Has your property been affected by heritage crime?

If you are concerned that a recent incident has taken place that has damaged a heritage asset please telephone 101 to report the incident to the police.

Please also consider contacting your Local Authority conservation department if any significant damage has been done.  Historic England's local offices may also be able to help in the case of a scheduled monument.

You may need to help with the preparation of a witness statement  as part of any formal police action as a result of an incident.

It may also be important to produce an impact statement in order to ensure the full impact of the incident on the community and the heritage value is considered as part of the sentencing.

Also consider if there is anything which could be done to make the asset more secure from any further threats.

Was this page helpful?

Related publications