Reporting a Heritage Crime

This page covers the various ways you can report an incident of heritage crime, depending on the situation you find yourself in.

Is it an emergency? Does it feel like the situation could get heated or violent very soon, or is someone in immediate danger? If so, please call 999 now.

Contact the police

Call 999 in an emergency, such as when:

  • A crime's in progress
  • Someone suspected of a crime is nearby
  • There's danger to life or property
  • Violence is being used or threatened

Call 101 or make an online report when you think a crime has been committed, but it was in the past and does not require an immediate reaction, such as when:

  • Property has been stolen or damaged and the suspect is no longer at the scene
  • If you suspect unlawful metal detecting is happening in your neighbourhood
  • To give the police information about crime or anti-social behaviour in your area

101 is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Next steps

Make an anonymous report

To pass on information about criminal activity and remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or by visiting their online information giving page.

You will never have to give a formal statement, talk to police or be a witness in court. You could receive a reward of up to £1,000 if the information you provide leads to the arrest and charge of at least one person.

The Crimestoppers line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.