Parish Church of St Thomas, High Street, Dudley - Dudley

Large Georgian church built in Perpendicular style (known locally as 'top church'), designed by William Brooks from 1815 to 1818. The current church is a replacement of a medieval chapel, the remains of which are visible in the crypt. The church received a Heritage Lottery Fund Grants for Places of Worship award in 2014 for high level stonework, which was shaling away in large sections and these repairs have been completed. However, there are more repairs needed to the pinnacles and parapet walls.

Parish Church of St Thomas, High Street, Dudley - Dudley
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1075998
  • Local Planning Authority: Dudley
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Parish Church of St Thomas
  • Street Name: High Street
  • Locality: Dudley
  • County: West Midlands
  • District / Borough: Dudley
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Dudley North
  • Region: West Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: D
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Cristina Gardiner 0121 625 6850

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England