Church of St John the Baptist, High Street, Scampton - West Lindsey

Dating from C14, the church had a major restoration by Bodley & Garner 1876-7. This would appear to be the date of the nave and chancel roof structures. The church lies on the edge of the village and is surrounded by a churchyard, part of which contains the graves of 64 airmen, maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. A Listed Places of Worship Roof Repair Fund grant was awarded and repairs are in progress.

Church of St John the Baptist, High Street, Scampton - West Lindsey
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1359492
    Local Planning Authority:
    West Lindsey
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St John the Baptist
    Street Name:
    High Street
    County:
    Lincolnshire
    District / Borough:
    West Lindsey
    Parish:
    Scampton
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Gainsborough
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*