St Andrew's Cathedral (former Church of St Barnabas), Kentish Town Road, Hampstead NW1 - Camden

This church was constructed in the style of a three-aisled basilica (without a dome) by Ewan Christian in 1884-85. It has been in use by the Greek Orthodox Church since 1957 and became St Andrew's Cathedral in 1970. All internal walls and ceilings have been decorated in the traditional Byzantine style, and large areas have been repaired where damaged by dampness. Externally the tabled guttering to the aisles and apse needs renewal.

St Andrew's Cathedral (former Church of St Barnabas), Kentish Town Road, Hampstead NW1 - Camden
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1379241
  • Local Planning Authority: Camden
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: St Andrew's Cathedral (former Church of St Barnabas)
  • Street Name: Kentish Town Road
  • Postcode: NW1
  • Locality: Hampstead
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Camden
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Holborn and St. Pancras
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England