Church of St Michael, Stygate, Lamplugh - Copeland

Parish church of 1870 by Butterfield. Aisleless nave, chancel with vestry on south side, and bellcote at west end. In Perpendicular style with some windows and other features reused from an earlier building. High quality C19 glass, with four windows by Kempe. Evidence of structural movement: fracturing of tracery in easternmost window on north side; problems with porch and buttress at north west corner; and suggestion that roof is detaching from west wall. In addition, damp in the south and north walls. Must be regarded as at high risk until the extent of the movement is clarified.

Church of St Michael, Stygate, Lamplugh - Copeland
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church of St Michael
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1086674
    Local Planning Authority:
    Copeland
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Michael
    Street Name:
    Stygate
    County:
    Cumbria
    District / Borough:
    Copeland
    Parish:
    Lamplugh
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Copeland
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*