Church of St Silas, Penton Street, Islington N1 - Islington

Built in 1860, designed by SS Teulon, completed in 1863 by EP Loftus Brock and chancel added in 1884 by W White. The roofs were re-slated in 2010, the south slope with photovoltaic tiles to match the slates in size and colour, along with some associated high level stone repairs. Structural repairs to significant cracking at the west end were completed in 2016, grant-aided by the National Lottery Heritage Fund. Stone repairs were carried out in 2018 to the north aisle but the north clerestory and north clerestory windows along with the equivalent on the south side are still to do.

Church of St Silas, Penton Street, Islington N1 - Islington
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST SILAS WITH ALL SAINTS
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1208241
    Local Planning Authority:
    Islington
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Silas
    Street Name:
    Penton Street
    Locality:
    Islington
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Islington
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Islington South and Finsbury
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA