Church of St Etheldreda, Coleby Road, West Halton - North Lincolnshire (UA)

A small village church much rebuilt, reusing the medieval masonry, after a fire in 1692. Fowler's restoration in 1876 rebuilt the chancel. The steeply raked, late Georgian west gallery, supported on two iron columns, all intact, was added c1837. The church interior is damp. The nave urgently needs a properly designed, permanent roof covering. Areas of wall plaster internally are loose. The perimeter drainage appears blocked, with standing water in gullies. A National Lottery Heritage Fund Grant for Places of Worship grant has been awarded.

Church of St Etheldreda, Coleby Road, West Halton - North Lincolnshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST ETHELDREDA
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1260344
    Local Planning Authority:
    North Lincolnshire (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Etheldreda
    Street Name:
    Coleby Road
    Unitary Authority:
    North Lincolnshire (UA)
    Parish:
    West Halton
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Brigg and Goole
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*