Red Barns House and Red Barns Hotel, Kirkleatham Street - Redcar and Cleveland (UA)

Red Barns was commissioned and built in the mid nineteenth century as the family home of the Bell's (Sir Hugh Bell). It was designed by Philip Webb a member of William Morris and Partners. A blue plaque on the wall of Red Barns honours Gertrude Bell (daughter of Sir Hugh) the archaeologist, writer and traveller. The building is vacant and deteriorating due to a lack of regular maintenance. Planning permission has been granted for the conversion and reuse of part of the building.

Red Barns House and Red Barns Hotel, Kirkleatham Street - Redcar and Cleveland (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: RED BARNS HOUSE AND RED BARNS HOTEL
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1139613
  • Local Planning Authority: Redcar and Cleveland (UA)
  • Site Type: Domestic > Residential building

Location

  • Building Name: Red Barns House and Red Barns Hotel
  • County: Tees Valley
  • Unitary Authority: Redcar and Cleveland (UA)
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Redcar
  • Region: North East

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Vacant/not in use
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Private
  • Designation: Listed Building grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Kate Wilson 0191 269 1221

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England