Church of St John, St Johns Street, Bury St. Edmunds - St Edmundsbury

Parish church dated to1841, by William Ranger (c1800-1863); east end remodelled 1875 by J Drayton Wyatt. White brick with red brick to the interior of the high entrance porch within the base of the tower. Early English style nave and chancel, north and south aisles, west tower with spire and entry. Water penetration from nave roof and gutters. A Heritage Lottery Fund Grants for Places of Worship grant has been awarded and repairs are due to be completed in 2019.

Church of St John, St Johns Street, Bury St. Edmunds - St Edmundsbury
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JOHN
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1135148
    Local Planning Authority:
    St Edmundsbury
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St John
    Street Name:
    St Johns Street
    County:
    Suffolk
    District / Borough:
    St Edmundsbury
    Parish:
    Bury St. Edmunds
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Bury St. Edmunds
    Region:
    East of England

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Good
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    B
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA