Church of the Holy Trinity, Temperance Avenue, Messingham - North Lincolnshire (UA)

The church's external envelope has been largely rebuilt around its medieval core: the west tower in 1784 by Thomas Bell following collapse of the spire, the chancel, nave and aisles in 1817-1818 by Edward Wilson. The short elevations of the south aisle signal that at one time the aisle roof was dual pitched and a box gutter located at the foot of the clerestory. The main roofs are covered in Westmorland slate, laid to diminishing courses; they lleaked and required renewal. National Lottery Heritage Fund grant-aided works are now complete, but further repair work is still required.

Church of the Holy Trinity, Temperance Avenue, Messingham - North Lincolnshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1346835
    Local Planning Authority:
    North Lincolnshire (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of the Holy Trinity
    Street Name:
    Temperance Avenue
    Unitary Authority:
    North Lincolnshire (UA)
    Parish:
    Messingham
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Scunthorpe
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*