Church of St John the Baptist, Boot Street, Whittington - Shropshire (UA)

The earliest part of this red brick church is the west tower built in 1747: the neoclassical nave was designed by Thomas Harrison and built in 1805-6 and the pyramid roof added to the tower in 1894. The Early English chancel with south organ chamber and north chapel was added in 1861. Partial re-roofing of the north slope of the nave roof in 2017 has eliminated water ingress but all of the cast iron rainwater goods are defective and need to be replaced. The surface water drainage system is also largely ineffective and complete renewal is likely to be required.

Church of St John the Baptist, Boot Street, Whittington - Shropshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1367372
  • Local Planning Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St John the Baptist
  • Street Name: Boot Street
  • Unitary Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Parish: Whittington
  • Parliamentary Constituency: North Shropshire
  • Region: West Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA

Contact Details

John Tiernan 0121 625 6839

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England