Church of the Sacred Heart and attached presbytery, Wymering Road, Southwold - East Suffolk

Church and presbytery 1912-16 by Catholic architect Fr. Benedict Williamson. Largely Romanesque style. Oriented north-south with nave and sacristy, with tower above. Constructed of limestone ashlar with brick core. There has been significant corrosion of the steel beams in the tower roof and elsewhere. The tower parapet has 'lifted' as a result of corroding internal steel. The tower roof slab and turret stair are potentially unsafe. National Heritage Lottery Fund grant delivery phase underway. Historic England Taylor Review Pilot grant awarded March 2019 for urgent rainwater goods repairs.

Church of the Sacred Heart and attached presbytery, Wymering Road, Southwold - East Suffolk
© Nicholas Warns Architects

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1384451
    Local Planning Authority:
    East Suffolk
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of the Sacred Heart and attached presbytery
    Street Name:
    Wymering Road
    County:
    Suffolk
    District / Borough:
    East Suffolk
    Parish:
    Southwold
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Suffolk Coastal
    Region:
    East of England

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    B
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA