Church of St Mary, Highley - Shropshire (UA)

Although the nave and lower chancel of this church are Norman in origin, the addition of the west tower and other later alterations and insertions suggest that most of the existing building fabric dates from C15 and later. The church was restored in 1881 by Pountney Smith but the tiles covering the tower roof, the lead lined parapet gutter and areas of the tower staircase masonry are now either failing and/or require assorted repairs to address significant defects. A generous bequest given towards church fabric repairs will enable the above repairs to be carried out in spring 2020.

Church of St Mary, Highley - Shropshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church of St Mary
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1188722
    Local Planning Authority:
    Shropshire (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Mary
    Unitary Authority:
    Shropshire (UA)
    Parish:
    Highley
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Ludlow
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA