The Warren Stone, Whalebone Lane North, Chadwell Heath - Barking and Dagenham

Boundary stone erected in 1642. The stone marked the boundary of Hainault Forest, along with the Marks Stones and the Forest Bounds Stone. The stone is in storage at Warren Farm during ongoing quarrying operations. The stone will be reinstated in its original position once quarrying is finished and land levels have been restored. A feasibility report, with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2015, explored the potential of the site. The site’s use and maintenance is being discussed with the Local Authority, the Crown Estate and Historic England.

The Warren Stone, Whalebone Lane North, Chadwell Heath - Barking and Dagenham
© Historic England Archive

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: THE WARREN STONE (APPROXIMATELY 250 YARDS EAST OF THE MARKS STONES)
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1184884
  • Local Planning Authority: Barking and Dagenham
  • Site Type: Barrier

Location

  • Building Name: The Warren Stone
  • Street Name: WHALEBONE LANE NORTH
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Barking and Dagenham
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Dagenham and Rainham
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Not applicable
  • Priority: D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
  • Previous Priority: D
  • Ownership: Crown

Contact Details

Daniel Pope (LPA) 020 8227 3929

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England