Bradford Synagogue (Reform), Bowland Street - Bradford

Synagogue of 1880 to 1881 in the Moorish revival style by Francis and Thomas Healey. The principal elevation is of gold and red banded ashlar with bracketed eaves and an ornate pierced parapet. It has a central raised panel with a Hebrew inscription beneath the cresting incorporating the Star of David. Repair works to the roofs and rainwater goods were carried out in 2015 with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund Grants for Places of Worship scheme. An outbreak of dry rot has recently been treated and the building is being monitored to ensure that it does not recur.

Bradford Synagogue (Reform), Bowland Street - Bradford
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    BRADFORD SYNAGOGUE (REFORM)
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1227613
    Local Planning Authority:
    Bradford
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Synagogue

Location

    Building Name:
    Bradford Synagogue (Reform)
    Street Name:
    Bowland Street
    County:
    West Yorkshire
    District / Borough:
    Bradford
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Bradford West
    Region:
    Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Fair
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*