Church of the English Martyrs, Prescott Street, Stepney E1 - Tower Hamlets

A town church by EW Pugin with rich internal decoration, completed after his death in 1875 by his brothers. It replaced an earlier mission set up in 1864. The high altar was re-ordered in 1930 as a shrine to the English Martyrs. Bomb damage in 1940 destroyed the pulpit. The nave roof has been re-slated but the church has various defects, including stone decay to the belfry, leaking aisle roofs, poor rainwater goods, and unresolved dampness which is damaging internal decorations. The church is investigating sources of funding for repairs.

Church of the English Martyrs, Prescott Street, Stepney E1 - Tower Hamlets
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF THE ENGLISH MARTYRS
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1241734
    Local Planning Authority:
    Tower Hamlets
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of the English Martyrs
    Street Name:
    Prescott Street
    Locality:
    Stepney
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Tower Hamlets
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Bethnal Green and Bow
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II