Church of St James, Norton, Norton Juxta Kempsey - Wychavon

Rural parish church. The nave and chancel are Norman, the lower parts of the west tower are C14. Restored in 1874-75 with a modern church hall added on the north side. The lias stonework on the south west diagonal buttress of the tower has fallen and further stone falls present a danger to the public. A Heritage Lottery Fund Grant for Places of Worship was awarded in 2017 and project development is underway.

Church of St James, Norton, Norton Juxta Kempsey - Wychavon
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Church of St James
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1242858
  • Local Planning Authority: Wychavon
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St James
  • Locality: Norton
  • County: Worcestershire
  • District / Borough: Wychavon
  • Parish: Norton Juxta Kempsey
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Mid Worcestershire
  • Region: West Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: B - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; solution agreed but not yet implemented
  • Previous Priority: A
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*

Contact Details

Chris Miners 0121 625 6835

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England