Church of St Saviour, Markhouse Road, Walthamstow E17 - Waltham Forest

The church was built in 1874 of squared coursed Kentish ragstone to the design of TF Dolman, and has a 1980s narthex by Purcell. The roofs of the church were renewed after post-war fire damage to a lower pitch and finished in corrugated asbestos, later changed to asbestos slates. The leaking gutters have caused damage to internal plaster and decorations. The church was awarded a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2018 for repairs to the nave and aisle roofs, rainwater goods and drainage.

Church of St Saviour, Markhouse Road, Walthamstow E17 - Waltham Forest
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1065595
  • Local Planning Authority: Waltham Forest
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Saviour
  • Street Name: Markhouse Road
  • Postcode: E17
  • Locality: Walthamstow
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Waltham Forest
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Walthamstow
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
  • Previous Priority: D
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England