St Michael and All Angels Church, Palmerston Road, Walthamstow E17 - Waltham Forest

This church has an imposing interior augmented by stained glass windows by Hardman and the highest nave roof of any church in the Chelmsford Diocese. It was designed in the Gothic style by JM Bignall and opened in 1885. It is constructed of London stock yellow brick with a mixture of red brick and stonework dressings. The original cast iron rainwater goods are in very poor condition and inadequate in capacity to cater for storm rainfall. The consequent regular wetting of the soft red bricks is causing them to spall and decay. In addition, the vestry roof is felted over and needs renewal.

St Michael and All Angels Church, Palmerston Road, Walthamstow E17 - Waltham Forest
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1191154
    Local Planning Authority:
    Waltham Forest
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    St Michael and All Angels Church
    Street Name:
    Palmerston Road
    Locality:
    Walthamstow
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Waltham Forest
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Walthamstow
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II