Church of St Mary, Upper Street, Islington N1 - Islington

This is the fourth church on this site, having been rebuilt in 1955-56 by Seely and White to replace the 1751 church destroyed in the Blitz, which had replaced a C14 medieval church built on the site of a Norman church. Construction, as with the C18 church, is in brick with stone quoins and dressings. The neoclassical tower survived, along with the 1902 portico by R Blomfield. The congregation is actively engaged in the repair of the portico and other stone work.

Church of St Mary, Upper Street, Islington N1 - Islington
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST MARY
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1195776
    Local Planning Authority:
    Islington
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Mary
    Street Name:
    Upper Street
    Locality:
    Islington
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Islington
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Islington South and Finsbury
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA