Church of St Giles, Church Lane, Killamarsh - North East Derbyshire

The church dates from the C12, C14, and C15. Previously a small village church, it is now located in a built up residential area. In 1885 the chancel and porch were rebuilt and the north aisle and vestry added. The older parts of the church are constructed in coal measures sandstone, the C19 addition to the north is in magnesian limestone. Differential settlement due to coal mining has caused cracking of the north aisle stonework and west window tracery, allowing rainwater to enter the church. Repairs funded by a Heritage Lottery Fund Grant for Place of Worship are due to be completed in 2018.

Church of St Giles, Church Lane, Killamarsh - North East Derbyshire
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1057656
  • Local Planning Authority: North East Derbyshire
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Giles
  • Street Name: Church Lane
  • County: Derbyshire
  • District / Borough: North East Derbyshire
  • Parish: Killamarsh
  • Parliamentary Constituency: North East Derbyshire
  • Region: East Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*

Contact Details

Ben Robinson 01480 412107

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England