Former Chapel to Bradwell Abbey, Bradwell Abbey / Bradwell - Milton Keynes (UA)

Former chapel, C14, altered C18. Rubble stone walls, old tiled roof. West elevation with doorway with moulded C14 door arch below a 3- light window. Short diagonal buttresses to each corner. Notable wall paintings c1330-1340, restored. Originally attached to the west wall of Priory church founded here in 1155. Historic England grant aided project development work in 2018 and subsequent grant for repairs largely complete apart from the underground drainage. Anticipated to be completed summer 2020.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Bradwell Abbey: a Benedictine priory, chapel and fishpond
    Heritage Category:
    Scheduled Monument
    List Entry Number:
    1009540
    Local Planning Authority:
    Milton Keynes (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Chapel

Location

    Building Name:
    Former Chapel to Bradwell Abbey
    Unitary Authority:
    Milton Keynes (UA)
    Parish:
    Bradwell Abbey / Bradwell
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Milton Keynes North
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    F
    Ownership:
    Local authority
    Designation:
    Scheduled Monument, 5 LBs

Contact Details

Rachel James 0207 973 3153