Wycliffe Congregational Chapel, Wellington Road North, Heaton Norris - Stockport

Medium sized, Gothic style chapel, once surrounded by terraced houses, north of Stockport town centre. Designed by architect Edward Walters, and built in 1849 of small coursed stone with ashlar dressings. Renewal of the roofs and valley gutters was completed in 2014, but the interior of the church is still in a very poor condition. Masonry failure associated with movement to the southern walls is ongoing and being monitored whilst a further phase of repairs is being prepared.

Wycliffe Congregational Chapel, Wellington Road North, Heaton Norris - Stockport
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: WYCLIFFE CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1309408
  • Local Planning Authority: Stockport
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Chapel

Location

  • Building Name: Wycliffe Congregational Chapel
  • Street Name: Wellington Road North
  • Locality: Heaton Norris
  • County: Greater Manchester
  • District / Borough: Stockport
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Stockport
  • Region: North West

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Very bad
  • Priority: A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: A
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

Peter Barlow 0161 242 1428

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England