St Peter in the Forest, Woodford New Road, Walthamstow E17 - Waltham Forest

Church of 1840 by John Shaw Jnr extended westwards in 1887 and further extended and repaired in 1951 and 1958. Located in a woodland setting, the church is built of yellow stock brick with stone dressings under a pitched slate roof, and there is a projecting tower on the south elevation. The 1951 extension is pulling away from the west wall of the church which is itself settling and cracked. The congregation is actively exploring possible sources of funding to repair and develop the church.

St Peter in the Forest, Woodford New Road, Walthamstow E17 - Waltham Forest
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST PETER IN THE FOREST
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1393232
    Local Planning Authority:
    Waltham Forest
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    St Peter in the Forest
    Street Name:
    Woodford New Road
    Locality:
    Walthamstow
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Waltham Forest
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Walthamstow
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II