Accumulator Tower and Chimney, Mill Place E14 - Tower Hamlets

Octagonal accumulator tower and chimney stack built in 1869 by William Armstrong, inventor of the hydraulic crane. It is the last surviving accumulator tower built in Regent’s Canal Dock (now known as Limehouse Basin). They were originally connected to a pumping station, now demolished. The tower is built of stock brick with a cornice and parapet, white brick and stone dressings and has slit window openings to three elevations. The tower has had problems with water ingress, vegetation growth and graffiti. Listed Building Consent was granted in 2016, and a scheme of repair is underway.

Accumulator Tower and Chimney, Mill Place E14 - Tower Hamlets
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: ACCUMULATOR TOWER AND CHIMNEY
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1242312
  • Local Planning Authority: Tower Hamlets
  • Site Type: Industrial > Power generation site

Location

  • Building Name: Accumulator Tower and Chimney
  • Postcode: E14
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Poplar and Limehouse
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Fair
  • Occupancy / Use: Not applicable
  • Priority: F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Commercial company
  • Designation: Listed Building grade II, CA

Contact Details

Andrew Hargreaves (LPA) 020 7364 5576

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England