Church of St George the Martyr, Borough High Street, Bermondsey SE1 - Southwark

Church dating from 1734-1736 to designs by John Price, altered by William Hedger in 1807-1808, and restored in 1951-1952 following war damage. Construction is in red brick with Portland stone dressings under a slated roof. In 2005-2006 the building was re-roofed and underpinned. In 2018 repairs were carried out to the external elevations, the cornices and parapets, grant-aided by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Further repairs are needed to the belfry.

Church of St George the Martyr, Borough High Street, Bermondsey SE1 - Southwark
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE THE MARTYR
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1378366
  • Local Planning Authority: Southwark
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St George the Martyr
  • Street Name: Borough High Street
  • Postcode: SE1
  • Locality: Bermondsey
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Southwark
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Bermondsey and Old Southwark
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Fair
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: D
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England