Church of St James, Thurland Road, Bermondsey SE16 - Southwark

St James's church was designed in the neoclassical style by James Savage and completed in 1829. The body of the church is in stock brick while the portico, spire and window dressings are in Bath stone. The plan is rectangular. The aisles were closed off in 1965 for rented income to save the church from closure. The nave roof was repaired in 2017 with a grant from the Listed Places of Worship Roof Repair Fund. The external masonry of the spire, portico and clerestory walls is being repaired, grant-aided by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Church of St James, Thurland Road, Bermondsey SE16 - Southwark
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1385962
  • Local Planning Authority: Southwark
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church


  • Building Name: Church of St James
  • Street Name: Thurland Road
  • Postcode: SE16
  • Locality: Bermondsey
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Southwark
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Bermondsey and Old Southwark
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*