St George's Cathedral (formerly Christ Church), Albany Street, Camden Town NW1 - Camden

Former parish church. Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral since 1989. Designed by Sir James Pennethorne, built in 1837 in neo-Grecian style to serve Nash's development east of Regents Park, with later alterations. Grey stock brick with Roman cement and stone dressings. The Roman cement mouldings and past repairs in cementitious mortar are failing in places. Cracking is evident, particularly on the principal street elevations.

St George's Cathedral (formerly Christ Church), Albany Street, Camden Town NW1 - Camden
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHRIST CHURCH
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1378620
    Local Planning Authority:
    Camden
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    St George's Cathedral (formerly Christ Church)
    Street Name:
    Albany Street
    Locality:
    Camden Town
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Camden
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Holborn and St. Pancras
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA