Church of St James, Leckhampstead - West Berkshire (UA)

Church designed by architect Samuel Teulon and consecrated in 1860. External walls of flint and brick. Internally, of polychrome brick. The steeply pitched plain clay tiles roofs were last repaired/ renewed in the 1940's. The clay tiles are delaminating, sipped or missing. Water ingress to the roof structure and roofing battens is occurring. Structural tying to the roof is now needed to brace the roof due to roof spread. An unsuccessful application for a Heritage Lottery Fund Grants for Places of Worship was made in 2017.

Church of St James, Leckhampstead - West Berkshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church of St James
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1313057
    Local Planning Authority:
    West Berkshire (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St James
    Unitary Authority:
    West Berkshire (UA)
    Parish:
    Leckhampstead
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Newbury
    Region:
    South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*