Church of St Mary, Brompton Regis, West Somerset - West Somerset

Anglican parish church with C13 west tower, chancel possibly partly C13 with later rebuilding, C14 south transept much rebuilt in C19, nave and north aisle rebuilt around 1490. Restored in 1853 and reroofed in 1885. The tower was restored in 1895 but is now leaking badly with algal growth inside. A Heritage Lottery Fund Grant for Places of Worship has been awarded and repairs are planned for 2018-19.

Church of St Mary, Brompton Regis, West Somerset - West Somerset
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Church of St Mary
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1057978
  • Local Planning Authority: West Somerset
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Mary
  • County: Somerset
  • District / Borough: West Somerset
  • Parish: Brompton Regis
  • National Park: Exmoor (NP)
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Bridgwater and West Somerset
  • Region: South West

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
  • Previous Priority: D
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*

Contact Details

Annie Evans 0117 975 1308

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England