Church of St Mary Stratford Bow, Bow Road, Poplar E3 - Tower Hamlets

St Mary's Bow is shrouded by trees on a traffic island on the A11. The tower and chancel were added circa 1490 to an early C14 nave. The south aisle was rebuilt in 1794; the upper tower in 1829 and restorations in C19. The upper tower was rebuilt and railings restored in the 1950s following war damage. The church has extensive dampness and stone decay, as well as leaking roofs. A first phase of repairs to external masonry was grant-aided by the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2017. Funding is being sought for a second phase of repairs including a new drainage system and tree management.

Church of St Mary Stratford Bow, Bow Road, Poplar E3 - Tower Hamlets
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY STRATFORD BOW
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1065273
  • Local Planning Authority: Tower Hamlets
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Mary Stratford Bow
  • Street Name: Bow Road
  • Postcode: E3
  • Locality: Poplar
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Bethnal Green and Bow
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England